Monday, June 20, 2011

Whither Mark Steyn?

It was pointed out to me yesterday that Mark Steyn hasn't produced content for Macleans in quite awhile.  So I fired off an email to Senior Columnist Paul Wells.  He responded:

Feel free to quote me but I won't be very helpful. Mark hasn't written for us for about a year. I don't know whether that's permanent; he normally deals only with senior management.


So I fired another one off to Ken Whyte asking whether Steyn was still on the payroll, but have received no response as yet.  In any case, "about a year" puts us in the vicinity of Steyn's April 12, 2010 column True North Strong Not Free.  In the course of this column, which was otherwise Steyn's typical Muslim bashing, railing against censorship, and etc., Mr. Steyn attributed comments to the Canadian Jewish Congress that were in fact from an item in the Mississauga News that was hosted on the CJC website.  This screw-up triggered a nasty letter from the CJC headBernie Farber and,  eventually (about April 18th), a grovelling apology from Macleans.

Since then, it would seem, nothing more from Steyn in Macleans.  Has Bernie and the Ceej chased him out of the Canadian jounosphere?  That's a bit speculative, but in any case its nice to see him gone.

PS. Unless he's gone because of poor health, obviously.  Although I thought he had resolved all of those issues.

5 comments:

dizzy said...

Perhaps he's in hiding --

// Ever since 9/11, I've been gloomily predicting the European powder keg's about to go up. ''By 2010 we'll be watching burning buildings, street riots and assassinations on the news every night,'' I wrote in Canada's Western Standard back in February.
Silly me. The Eurabian civil war appears to have started some years ahead of my optimistic schedule. //
[Chicago Sun Times Nov 6 2005]

Last I heard, his admirers were taking up a collection to repair flood damage at his New Hampshire estate.

Just the facts, please said...

Maybe he moved to that flat in Marseilles.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the info I dont have any idea about Mr.Mark.

Maria[man suit]