Wednesday, July 21, 2010

From The Resignation Letter of Munir A. Sheikh

I cannot reveal and comment on this advice because this information is protected under the law. However, the government can make this information public if it so wishes.

I have always honoured my oath and responsibilities as a public servant as well as those specific to the Statistics Act.


I want to take this opportunity to comment on a technical statistical issue which has become the subject of media discussion. This relates to the question of whether a voluntary survey can become a substitute for a mandatory census.

It can not.

Under the circumstances, I have tendered my resignation to the Prime Minister.

And that is that. Honoring his obligation to the minister. A class act, unlike his employer.

8 comments:

Shiner said...

Poor guy. As important as I think the issue is, his resigning accomplishes nothing other than letting Harper put someone else in the position. Fraser Institute hack anyone?

tdwebste said...

I want to do my job as technical statistician.

"I want to take this opportunity to comment on a technical statistical issue which has become the subject of media discussion. This relates to the question of whether a voluntary survey can become a substitute for a mandatory census."

I can NOT. As result I must resign.

Oxford County Liberals said...

Putting an ideologue in as head only reinforces the point that they have no regard for actual facts and stats.

Harbles said...

The Issue that came out of nowhere. #census
I asked my new pal; @johnsonWilliam Yo Johnson! How's the blog post about the #Census going?

He replied,
@Harbles had a busy night lastnight. I'll get back to it right now.

I responded,
@johnsonWilliam 'K U busy dude. I understand. But quickly what do you think about the head of StatsCan resigning ?

He replied,
johnsonWilliam @Harbles he's sticking to his principles. that's respectable. it just seems late to me. he could've did that a lot earlier, no?

And so it goes ...

Harbles said...

So Of course I had to ask Grazen's opinion,
@grazen Out of curiosity .. what do u think of Head Statistician at StatsCan resigning over changes to long form Census?

To which he replied,
grazen @Harbles I don't think about his resignation. If I did, I would think that he's making a bad career move.

And the Beat Goes On.

bigcitylib said...

If Grazen thinks that Canada's chief stats guy can't find work that pays better, then it isn't surprising nobody has every heard of his company before.

Unknown said...

The best part is how earlier today Clement said he thought the StatsCan people were comfortable with the changes.

RuralSandi said...

All this because Harper doesn't want facts to get in the way of his lies and misinformation (i.e. crime stats).

Canada's privacy commissioner has received three complaints about the census over the past decade. Statistics Canada says it received 22 letters and e-mails expressing concern during the 2006 census collection period.

.........so many Canadians were upset about the census?

Harperliar at it again.