Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Why I Just Keep Plants

From CTV:

The City of Toronto is considering a bylaw for residents to stoop, scoop and then carry their dog's poop home instead of placing it in park garbage bins.

Obviously, I see the reasoning. There's supposed to be 500,000 Dogs in Toronto, and none of them are toilet-trained. And I've often thought that city dogs can't be as healthy or well socialized as their suburban/rural counterparts just because they do not get to be around other people and other animals as frequently, so I support leash-free zones and other means of making Toronto canine friendly. However, if I were a professional dog walker I would be certainly "raising a stink" about this proposed by-law. You often see them wandering around with a half dozen animals on separate leashes. Carrying eight lbs of poop back to the office with you would certainly raise the cost of doing business.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

Of all the problems in the world...they're worried about doggy crap.

Maybe just have a composting site on the park. It's fertilizer, after all.

bigcitylib said...

That's one possibility under consideration

JimBobby said...

Whooee! Dogshit! Tell me about it. I take ol' Spot over t' the park fer frisbee chasin' an' poopin' every mornin'. I'm a small-g an' big-G greenie but dog shit's where I don't toe the green line too awful good. Accordin' to my municipality, we ain't supposed to put dogshit in with our garbage. I ain't sure if they don't want us to put it in the municipal barrels at the park or not. They don't say not to. They say we oughta flush it down the toilet. I say fat chance.

Right now, I pick it up with a plastic bag an' quick turn the bag inside out, tie it up an' take it to the nearest barrel. When ol' Spot goes in the yard, I use a shovel and toss it inta Ma's flowerbeds. Some of it goes in the compost an' since we don't grow veggies but only flowers, I reckon it's okay t' have dogshit in the compost.

One thing I reckon pisses me off more'n it pisses most people off is steppin' in a pile o' dog shit. I'll be pissed off fer days. I'm still pissed off about steppin' in some 4 or 5 years ago. If Trawna makes it more onerous fer dog owners t' clean up, they'll just stop doin' it. An' you know what that means... we'll all be steppin' in shit a lot more often.

Out here in the sticks, there's still a lot o' numbnutses who don't figger they need t' pick up after their dogs. I hear-tell Trawna folks is better trained. In fact, not long ago if you saw simebuddy stoopin' an' scoopin' in my little town, you'd figger they was visitin' from the big smoke.

BTW, I'll betcha there are a couplafew Trawna dogs that ARE toilet trained. Toilet trained pet videos are big on YouTube. Mostly cats.

I'm workin' on a method that'll use paper bags instead o' plastic. I ain't too keen on the idea o' carryin' around a shit-trowel twice a day when I take ol' Spot out but it might come to that.

JB

Anonymous said...

Actually, I am a professional dog-walker, and I used to carry home all the dogshit at the end of the day. Now I just stop and use any green bins I find along the way. It's much easier.

I think it's a good idea for a by-law. In seriousness, the cumulative weight adds up - I'm positive I've taken a truck off the road to Michigan.